The excavation of Samnite-Roman structures near the lake of the Matese allows the reconstruction of an articulated settlement history which can be summarized as follows: at the latest in the second century BC, this area, belonging to the Pentrian Bovianum, was occupied by a public building, probably a sanctuary. This building was abandoned (or destroyed) in the early first century BC, possibly owing to the Bellum Sociale. In the Augustan age the area was again occupied and still emerging structures were englobed into a new building (measuring approximately 1000 m2) in which it seems possible to recognize a saltus aestivus, a seasonal pastoral settlement linked to transhumance movements. This site lived about two centuries, until 180-190 AD, when it was abandoned. About a century later, on its ruins was built a new building, perhaps still linked to sheep-farming.